Our issue areas include:
- Police Reform – Following the tragic death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore, Progressive Maryland joined with other civil rights and community organizations to form the Maryland Coalition for Justice and Police Accountability (MCJPA). During the 2016 state legislative session, the coalition successfully passed an omnibus bill creating greater transparency into the way policing is conducted. We continue to fight against police misconduct and build trust between law enforcement and the public to ensure the safety of Maryland communities.
- $15 Minimum Wage – Workers nationwide have been organizing for a $15 minimum wage. We’re bringing the Fight For 15 to Maryland to ensure all workers earn a fair wage. Of particular concern are the plight of tipped workers who are paid a significantly lower subminimum wage making them dependent on the generosity of consumers in order to meet their basic needs. We support fair wages for all workers and the elimination of a two-tiered wage system that puts the most marginalized workers at a disadvantage.
- Fair Elections – Corporations and mega donors have too much influence over who can run for office, the issues they debate, who wins, and the public policies they produce. We are committed to getting big money out of politics by creating systems that empower small dollar donors and makes elected officials accountable to the people that elected them, not their special interest donors.
- Civic Engagement – Public participation is the cornerstone of our democracy, but voter turnout remains low, especially in midterm and local elections. We’re working to eliminate barriers to voting and create strategic partnerships to boost participation among low-propensity voters.
- Environmental Justice – Maryland is home to many environmental treasures from the Chesapeake Bay to our state and community parks. Unfortunately, pollution and misguided corporate practices threaten these public resources, often at the expense of low-income neighborhoods and communities of color. We believe in an economic system that puts people and environment above corporate profits and will continue to fight to make this a reality
ContactContact Name: Larry Stafford, Jr. , Executive Director
Website Facebook Twitter
HQ AddressState: MD
City: Silver Spring
35 University Boulevard East